Thursday 20 August 2015

WHY

WHY
Birds had visited the banquet
Of the poison devil's pepper
By the path to the stream

Boys gathered under it's shade
With their catapults
Fortified with the blood of squirrels
And partridges

They turned the feasting
Into mourning
I sat on a fallen palm nearby
Watching birds fall
Like leaves from a dying tree

I roamed through my
Head searching for why
My catapult had
Never tasted blood
(Not even of a cock lizard)

Why pebbles I sent
Into the gathering of birds
Brought me leaves and berries-
But not even feathers
(for consolation)

Why my forehead bore
Three scars of pebbles deflected
By merciless branches-
Pebbles I aimed at the head
Of birds

I searched till I met the traps 
A man with white beard which
Swept the ground
Stood pointing to the traps
The wrinkles on his forehead
Questioning "why?"

Why
Mine held in their jaws
Bandicoots and duikers
Whiles the other boys
Had theirs yawning hungrily 

Shamefully, I woke up from
My slumber
©Sarpong Kumankoma
19.08.15

photo: flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment