Saturday 23 May 2015

DONKEYMAN


DONKEY MAN
During the quarrel
I spat stinky words
Into her face
They awakened her tears
which slept in stupor
in her bright eyes

After the quarrel
The tears evaporated
like the smoke of Abel's sacrifice
I felt feverish
I shivered in shame
Her tears condensed
Melted and fell ice-cold
rains on me-----
I shivered more vigorously

Her tears soaked my soul in regret
I looked into her eyes
the very eyes which
caressed my soul
So piercing was their brightness
that I wished I could look away
but they had me hypnotised

Her eyes dragged me to
Her side
She still stood still---like
a statue----in tears
A man does not cry
Will a man do what I did?

I wept like a child-----
I had behaved like one
Why did I forget
my promise never to hurt her
by words or deeds
I knelt before her
My eyes still trapped
by hers

I confessed the
donkey I had been
I held her hand and planted
Several kisses on it

She spread her warm
Smile on me----
And freed her voice
She sighed a gentle
wind of breath-----
Her voice sounded like
a hustling wind

"No matter what
happens I still love you"
This she said
I felt more like a donkey!
©Sarpong Kumankoma

UA-63306497-1

No comments:

Post a Comment