Sunday 10 January 2016

Abigail

ABIGAIL; CAN YOU?
That my heart is a roofless hut
Is why I have kept its door shut
It was once the home 
Of a queen I crowned 
With teen emotions 
She became the wind and flew 
Away with the roof 
Leaving cracks on the tender walls

When she left I kept it open
Hoping Time would bring another maiden
To rebuild it into a haven   
Many do come around only
To survey the extent of havoc
My eyes brim over with
Tears anytime I wink at them 
An invitation to enter—
They walk away with stomping 
Footsteps that widen the cracks

I locked my heart 
Buried the key in the bed of the ocean
And put on my opaque glasses . . .

Some nights ago  
Your light sneaked into 
My realm of blindness
It has failed to die off
Abi, have you come to take a peep
Like the others do?
Will you enter, if I ask you in?

O the key!

Lost in the bottom of the deepest sea
Abigail, can you swim?
Can you swim down and get it for me?
To unlock my heart and enter

That's not all, the roof!

Gone forever with the first queen
Abigail, can you climb?
Can you climb up and fix the roof?
To fortify against rain and shine

What about the walls?
O Abi, can you dig?
Can you dig some flesh from your heart?
To mend mine

Abigail, can you?
I have already rebuilt another crown
Worthy of your beautiful head

(c)Sarpong Kumankoma
10/01/16
EFSH B11O9



2 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable, thank you for this treat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very enjoyable, thank you for this treat

    ReplyDelete