Sunday 24 May 2015

Dufɔkyeɛ

Dufɔkyeɛ
I am now a green
bearded dead log who gives life
To a million moss

The rains are here
So I sleep soundly by
Your footpath
You jump me over
When searching for firewood

I am the trunk
Whose branches you fetched
Years ago for firewood
I am still me---
Only termites have feasted
On my dignity

Dufɔkyeɛ
I am the ancient stump
A companion of the
Lonely pawpaw at the centre
Of your farm---
Soaked in the joyful
Tears of the sky

You never desire a wet mouth
And a wet bottom--

"Wotena dufɔkyeɛ so di
Borɔferɛ a", sɛbe, "woto fɔ
W'ano nso fɔ"

---I am a seat for rains today so
You dump pawpaw peels and seeds
Onto my head

You despise me
For the rains are here

From the Sahara desert
I hear the footsteps of
The trade winds

Harmattan rides
On his shoulders to slay
The rains and bind
Me together
solid and dry

To shave my beard
And find for the disgusting
Creatures a safer place
Of sojourn

Then I  shall be
The long lasting
Fuel that burns in your tripod stove

The comfortable seat
You'll sit on to wonder when
The pawpaw will bear fruits again

Lick back your spittle today
Before tomorrow hits you
With regrets

©All reserved Agyei Sarpong Kumankoma

No comments:

Post a Comment